A surprisingly quick-and-easy, rich and creamy clam chowder with bacon and potatoes.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
Ready In: 55 Minutes
- 1/2 pound bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 5 medium unpeeled new potatoes, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 (6.5 ounce) cans chopped clams with juice
- 2 (1.8 ounce) packages dry leek soup mix
- 1 quart half-and-half
- Place the bacon in a large pot and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until crisped and browned, about 10 minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon, leaving the drippings in the pot. Set the bacon aside. Stir the potatoes and carrots into the bacon fat. Season with salt and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour the juice from the clams into the pot, and add enough water to just cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the potatoes are just tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Gently stir the leek soup mix into the potatoes until no lumps of soup remain. Stir in the clams, reserved bacon, and half-and-half cream. Cook and stir until the chowder returns to a simmer and thickens, about 10 minutes more.
It was a huge hit at our house, with all having seconds!