- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 1/2 cups tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 dried hot red chili peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 dozen tortillas
- oil for frying
- 2 cups half and half
- 6 beef bouillon cubes
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Heat the corn oil and cook the chopped onions and garlic gently until soft, about 2 – 3 minutes. Stir in the ground beef and cook until it changes color, breaking it up with a fork. Add the tomatoes and crush with a spoon to mix with the meat, then add the chopped red peppers.
- While the meat and tomato mixture is simmering, separate the tortillas and heat about 1″ of oil in as large a skillet as you have and fry the tortillas, turning them over when they bulge. When they have cooked about 1 minute, remove the tortillas and drain on paper towels.
- Heat the half and half to the simmering point and dissolve the beef cubes in it. Dip each tortilla in the hot milk and let it cook there for about 30 seconds.
- Place 1 tortilla, folded, in a shallow baking dish, lift the top half, and fill with 2 – 3 tablespoons of the meat mixture, then cover with the top half of the tortilla. Repeat, arranging the folded tortillas snugly next to each other so they fill the dish. Spoon any leftover meat mixture on top of the tortillas, then cover with the grated cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 350° oven for about 30 minutes, until the cheese bubbles.
Credit: The LL Bean Book of “New” New England Cookery