Adapted from Julia Child’s Kitchen (Knopf, 1975).
Yield: 12 stuffed egg halves
- 6 large eggs, hard boiled – peeled and cooled
- 4 medium asparagus spears
- 2 teaspoons very finely minced shallot, scallion or chives, plus a pinch extra for garnish
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise, whipping cream, creme fraiche, sour cream and/or soft butter
- 1/2 teaspoon smooth Dijon (optional)
- Few gratings fresh lemon zest (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Slice the eggs in half lengthwise. Remove the yolks and put the yolks into a small bowl and set the white eggs aside.
Cook asparagus spears in salted simmering water until full tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. Drain and plunge in cold water. Drain again and spread on towels to dry out as much as possible. Cut 1/2-inch off the tips of each spears and cut these tips lengthwise (they’ll be your garnish). Puree remaining asparagus in a blender.
Take the pureed asparagus and put in a towel and twist until all moisture has been removed.
Add the asparagus and the egg yolks into blender and blend together. Add your mayonnaise and scallions or shallot, salt & pepper and your garlic powder if you’re using and again blend until smooth.
Fill the white egg halves with the mixture. You can decorate with the removed Asparagus tips.
Cover with plastic wrap and chill until ready to serve.